Low Carb Zucchini Muffins
Carb Count per muffin – 9
I adapted this recipe from Against All Grain to make it more friendly on the blood sugars: removed the banana and replaced the honey with maple syrup for a natural sweetener that is more heat safe than honey.
1 medium zucchini, shredded
1 1/2 cup of almond flour, sifted
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup maple syrup
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F
2. Grate zucchini, you can press between paper towel to release extra moisture, I usually skip this step
3. Place all dry ingredients into a small bowl
4. Place eggs and honey into a bowl and mix, I mix by hand but you can use a mixer if you like. Mix for 1 minute then add the zucchini
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until they have all been incorporated
6. Spoon into muffin pan lined with paper cups until 3/4 full- I use silicon reusable cups and they seem to be easier to remove than the paper cups
7. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (if making a loaf – bake for 40 min) or until middle is set place on rack to cool. I tip mine upside down so they pop out easily.
Option: after baking, sprinkle with sliced almonds, or hemp hearts.